Here is one of our most-requested recipes – we hope you enjoy it! Spaghetti Aglio e Olio is a dish you’ll love to have in your arsenal of easy meals. Master this simple recipe and keep the ingredients on hand in your pantry: spaghetti, olive oil, garlic, chili flakes and parmesan. You’ll always have a quick, tasty dinner ready to go.
Spaghetti Aglio e Olio
- 1 oz. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh garlic
- 1 oz. vegetable stock
- Pinch dried chili flakes
- ½ tsp. salt (or to taste)
- 8 oz. spaghetti, already cooked according to package directions
- Fresh basil, finely chopped
- Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Sauté the garlic in olive oil until soft and just beginning to turn light brown (but don’t burn it).
- Add the vegetable stock and bring quickly to a boil, simmer for 1 minute.
- Add salt and chili flakes, stir and add pasta.
- Toss over low heat to coat pasta and to get it hot again.
- Put onto plate and garnish with basil and plenty of parmesan cheese.
Yield: 2 servings
For more texture and added flavor, also garnish with these toasted breadcrumbs. They’re wonderful!
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 ½ T. olive oil or melted butter
- ¼ t. salt
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Make fresh breadcrumbs by cutting up stale country-style bread into 1 ½” cubes and pulsing in your food processor until the desired size… the larger and more irregular they are, the more texture you’ll have. Or grate the bread on the large holes in a box grater.
- Mix all ingredients to coat evenly and spread in a single layer on a small baking sheet.
- Bake the crumbs, stirring once at 5 minutes, for about 12 minutes until golden brown.
Don’t feel up to cooking? Visit one of our eight Oregon Pastini Pastarias.
– Susie B.