Serves 4 as an appetizer salad or 2 as an entrée salad
Approximately 45 – 60 minutes
With local asparagus season in full bloom, and our proximity to the fertile asparagus-growing region of south central Washington, our spring specials naturally feature the splendid spears, like this terrific salad. This year we’re sourcing our asparagus from Snow & Sons farm in Outlook, WA, and the salad has been hugely popular. No wonder…it’s elegant enough to be a first course yet substantial enough to be a lovely warm weather entrée, especially if you add a fresh baguette. (You could also use the tasty dressing on cabbage for a quick summery coleslaw.) Pair the salad with a Pinot Gris or an unoaked Chardonnay for a delicious Northwest dinner!
Susie Bashel, co-owner
HONEY MUSTARD POPPY SEED DRESSING
- 3 TBSP Champagne Vinegar
- 1 TBSP Honey
- 2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- ½ teaspoon Mustard Powder
- ½ Cup Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Poppy Seeds
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon (or to taste) Kosher Salt
- Place vinegar, honey, mustard and mustard powder in a food processor and mix.
- With the processor running, slowly add the oil until blended.
- Once dressing is blended, transfer to a bowl, add poppy seeds, salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate until use. Can be made up to 2 days in advance.
- 1 LB Fresh Asparagus
- 1 TBSP Olive Oil
- Pinch of Kosher Salt
- Pre-Heat the oven to 450 Degrees.
- Trim ends off asparagus, toss spears with olive oil and salt.
- Place in a roasting pan in a single layer and roast for 5 minutes.
- Set aside on a plate to cool.
- Greens of choice (arugula, spring mix, Little Gem lettuce), asparagus, dressing
- 2 Hard Boiled Eggs, chopped
- ½ Cup Grated Fresh Parmesan
- ½ Cup Chopped Toasted Hazelnuts
- Toss greens in a bowl with your preferred amount of dressing; place on serving plate(s)
- Toss asparagus in dressing, arrange on top of greens
- Garnish greens with chopped egg, parmesan and hazelnuts to taste