Since winter is most definitely the season for soup (zuppa in Italian), we’ve delved into our archives for one of Chef Craig Bashel’s fav recipes. Chicken-Orzo soup is relatively easy and fast, low in fat and absolutely delicious! And it represents what we do here at Pastini…use fresh, honest ingredients to make dishes that are filled with flavorful goodness.
Here you go… enjoy!
- 1 TBSP Olive Oil
- 1 TBSP Butter
- 1 Medium Onion, finely diced
- 2 Medium Carrots, small dice
- 3 Celery Stalks, small dice
- 1 tsp chopped Garlic
- 1 tsp chopped Fresh Rosemary
- Small pinch Red Chili Flakes
- 1 TBSP finely chopped Fresh Parsley
- 1 raw boneless skinless Chicken Breast, 8-10 ounces, cut into small cubes
- 1 Cup uncooked Orzo Pasta
- 1 Cup Frozen Peas
- 1 tsp Salt
- 6 Cups Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- Freshly Ground Pepper to Taste
- Heat oil and butter over medium heat in a 4 qt saucepan.
- Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add carrot, celery and garlic and sauté for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add rosemary, chili flakes, parsley, chicken and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken or vegetable stock, salt and pepper and bring to a small boil.
- Reduce heat to a slow simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add orzo pasta and peas and cook for 15 minutes or until orzo pasta is cooked.
- Taste and season with salt if necessary.
Serve with a green salad and some crusty Italian bread or a baguette.
Serves 4 to 6.